What is it and why should I consider it?
3D mammography isn’t a gimmick. It is an important technological advancement that can improve early detection and improve your screening experience. At Radiology Associates of Hartford, we offer 3D mammography to our Hartford-area patients.
You already know that the mammogram is the most widely used and most trusted tool for breast screening. Despite the confusion in the media, doctors and advocacy groups that are most closely involved with breast cancer still firmly recommended that all women over 40 have routine screening mammograms.
The goal of mammography is the early detection of breast cancer. When detected early, the chances for successfully treating breast cancer increase dramatically. In addition, finding cancer at an earlier stage may help save a woman’s breast by eliminating the need for a mastectomy.
3D mammography, or tomosynthesis, is a recent and significant innovation in breast imaging—approved by the FDA in 2011. Numerous European and American clinical studies have demonstrated that adding tomosynthesis to a screening mammogram increases the cancer detection rate by about 40% and significantly lowers recall rates.1 It has also been shown to find more invasive cancers earlier than traditional mammography2, which is why so many hospitals and imaging centers are adopting this technology.
3D Mammography at Radiology Associates of Hartford is:
- Safe and effective, with very low radiation exposure
- Uses the latest digital and 3D technology
- Reduces the need for callbacks
- Is performed with advanced computer-aided detection (CAD) technology
- If follow up testing is needed, we offer the same quality testing as the hospital, but at a much lower cost—which means less out-of-pocket for you
Are you due for your mammogram? Let us show you just how comfortable and easy it is to have a 3D mammogram at Radiology Associates of Hartford!
Please contact your insurance company prior to scheduling to determine medical coverage.
Call (860) 969-6400 or visit www.bookmymammo.com to schedule your 3D mammogram today.
- Skaane P, Bandos AI, Gullien R, et al. Comparison of digital mammography alone and digital mammography plus tomosynthesis in a population-based screening program. Radiology. 2013;267(1):47-56
- Durand, Melissa A et al; Breast Cancer Screening Using Tomosynthesis in Combination with Digital Mammography. JAMA 2014.6095.jama/10.1001:doi. 2507-2499: (24)311; 2014